Sunday, January 18, 2015

Baby Crawford's Birth Story

This is our last picture as a family of three before we took Carter to Grammy and Grandpa's and for us to go out on our last mommy daddy date for a while. Carter was excited to wear her "FiFi" pajamas and matching slippers. We told her she was going to spend the night with Grammy, Grandpa and Winston. When it was time to go, she must have known something was up because she went and laid down at the front door. It was very unlike her to do so and not want to take a picture. Luckily we got a good one and we were off to Grammy and Grandpa's.
The night before our induction, I slept off and on while daddy slept like a log. He fell asleep while we were discussing baby names. Literally, we were talking and all of a sudden he was out like a light. I, on the other hand, woke a few times during the night to either check the time or go potty. I was awake before my alarm went off at 3:59am and took a shower before I cracked the bathroom door to call for Case to wake up.

It was 4:30am and time to call the hospital to make sure they would have a bed for me. The nurse answered the phone by the second ring and told me to come on in. 

A couple minutes after 5am we were pulling out of the driveway and heading towards the hospital. I don't remember what we talked about, other than Case asking if I could imagine being in labor and making this same drive. I answered no, laughed and asked, "What if my water breaks on the way there?" He looked at me, with an expression like, "Not funny, not in our car." I laughed and continued to eat my cereal from a red solo cup. I was told I could eat a light breakfast; I knew it would be all I ate for most of the day. Case, who could eat whatever he wanted for breakfast, chose not to. 

We arrived at the hospital, parked and made our way to labor and delivery on the second floor. We were taken to room number 11. We walked in and realized it was the same one they had shown us on our tour. We met our super sweet nurse, Nancy. She did a great job with my IV and getting me all hooked up. We shared stories and laughed about our previous experiences at Baptist Hospital. Come to find out it had been a busy night and we got the next to the last bed available. 

By 6:45, Pitocin was started and at 2. All was calm until we heard the screams coming from a neighboring room. Casey tried to tell me that it was a drill and they must be doing some sort of construction work but I wasn't buying it. I knew exactly what the noise was. Thankfully, the woman had a quick delivery and Nancy brought me ice chips and apologized for having to help with the other delivery.  

It was 7:15 and our night shift nurse, Nancy, was getting off and our day shift nurse, Ruth was coming on. Ruth looked very experienced with the prettiest blue eyes. She was quiet at first but sweet and soft spoken.

Casey spent the next 30 minutes looking up baby names, their meanings and statistics. (Interesting fact: Baby No. 2's name was most popular in 1880.) I was sitting up texting friends and neighbors to keep them updated. I was ready to get the show on the road!
By this time, it was 8:00 and Grammy sent a picture of Carter enjoying her "rice cereal" (rice crispies) and blueberries. She looked as happy as could be!
I was relaxing by 8:30 as Casey came back from getting breakfast at Atlanta Bread Company. While he was gone, I had gotten my epidural, given by Dr. Baker and was waiting to feel my legs start to tingle as I remember how it felt with Carter. I caught Case up on the conversation I had with Dr. Baker and I started to feel the epidural begin to work. Things went smoothly and my Pitocin was upped to 6. At 9:05 the Ruth was back to check on me and up my Pitocin to 8 and then to 10 by 9:30. Still Casey and I sat around throwing around different baby names. 
At 10:00, Ruth came back in and upped the Pitocin to 12. She explained that Dr. Lambert had come by to see me while I was getting the epidural but because of it being a sterile environment (we all had on masks and Casey had been ask to leave the room) she didn't come in. She would be back between now and lunchtime to check on me once my contractions got stronger and she would break my water. 

By 10:20, Dr. Lambert had come to check me and break my water. Still 3cm and 80% effaced (same as Tuesday morning). I asked her to predict when baby C would make his entrance. First, she said she doesn't make predictions then she added after dinner time. After she walked out, Ruth told us that she didn't think it would be that late. 

Weight Predictions:
Casey L:   forgot to guess...oops!
Casey J:   8 lbs. 4 oz.
Papa:        9 lbs. 2 oz.
Gee:         forgot to guess
Tara:        8 lbs. 4 oz.
Lauren:    8 lbs. 8 oz.
Kari:         8 lbs. 2 oz.
Grandpa:  8 lbs. 9 oz.
Grammy:  8 lbs. 14 oz.
                 (*Notice no one guessed under 8 pounds!)

Gee and Papa came around 11am to visit and to see how we were doing. I fair warned them to bring a blanket. I had the room cool apparently because the nurse had asked us twice if we were comfortable and if we knew where the thermostat was incase we wanted to bump up the temperature. Even Casey put back on his sweatshirt but I was cool and comfortable. Ms. Ruth did say that they would need to bump up the temperature for the birth of baby boy.

Dr. Lambert and Ruth came back to check on me at 12:30. I was then 4 cm and still only 80% effaced. They bumped my Pitocin up to 14 in hopes it would help things progress. Before things started progressed too quickly, Casey and dad went to get lunch. While they were gone, momma and Ruth recognized each other. Of course, everywhere we go mom recognizes someone. They couldn't place each other but both agreed they definitely had met before. 

The discomfort was starting to set in and a few boluses of epidural the pain was gaining strength. Thankfully a sweet friend of ours (who also works at the hospital) was able to stop by and take my mind off things for a little bit. 

As Casey and dad returned from lunch, I requested the anesthesiologist come back in. With different/more medicine in my epidural line, I was hopeful for more relief. During this time, I decided that group text messages were one of the best inventions. I was able to text multiple friends from The Pond, PC, and neighbors all at the same time. They kept me well entertained and sent lots of prayers and support as I laid in the most uncomfortable bed ever made. 

With Pitocine at 18 and new medicines kicking in, I tried to nap. It was 3:15 and I hadn't seen the sun yet. Apparently we weren't missing much; it was overcast, cold and looked like it could rain at any moment so everyone said. The window in our room just looked out over the roof, there wasn't much to see.

Casey said, looking at the clock, "Nancy will be waking up soon." We had requested that if the baby didn't come before 7pm (shift change) for Nancy be our nurse again. Fingers crossed, we turned the lights down and did our best to try to get some rest. 

4:00 rolled around and I woke up uncomfortable and the pain was back. Luckily, Ruth was back to check on us. I was now her only patient and we were hopeful baby C would be here before her shift ended. I was getting hungry and dreaming of a hook and ladder sub from Firehouse or a chicken bacon avocado sandwich with a Caesar salad from Atlanta Bread Company (both of which were right across the street). 

At 4:15, our nurse, Ms. Ruth was back to give me a bolus of medicine for the pain. Which didn't work for too long.

By 4:45, I was at 7cm and 100% effaced. This was the last of my notes that I made from this day.

6:19 pm
At 6, the anesthesiologist's shift changed and a new doctor was called to give me another dose of the same pain meds. Each time the medicine was lasting less and less. It didn't help very much or last very long so before 6:30 I was requesting something else for the pain. Ms. Ruth called for Dr. Lambert to come check me and I was at 10cm and ready to push. I remember telling Dr. Lambert that I didn't feel ready yet and that I needed something else for the pain.

All of this went on while Case took a quick bathroom break and missed the whole conversation but Dr. Lambert gave me the option of either waiting another 20 for more of the same medicine that wasn't working or get another epidural. I remember my exact quote, "Bring it on. I had two with Carter I will have two with him." She told me they would have to call for the anesthesiologist to come back in. At this point, I knew baby was coming sooner rather than later and that this anesthesiologist better be coming fast. I told Dr. Lambert, "He better be running and out of breath when he gets in here!" Dr. Lambert said, "I wouldn't tell someone that, who is about to stick a needle in your back." We all laughed, even the nurse, but I wasn't joking! Casey returned and I quickly informed him that I was getting another epidural. He couldn't believe I made up my mind so fast during his quick bathroom break. As I waited for the second epidural, I was rocking my legs back and forth with my knees bent. Dad kept telling me I was going to make the baby seasick but it was the only thing that helped me deal with the discomfort.

Shift change for the nurses took place and Abby came on as my nurse. I think Ms. Ruth tried to hang around as long as she could waiting for our baby boy to arrive. (She had practically spent all day with us and wanted to finally meet him.) She even offered to do paperwork for Abby to stay a little longer. (When I did deliver, Abby guessed that Ms. Ruth was probably just pulling out of the parking lot.)

For the second epidural, just like the first, everyone (including Casey) was sent out of the room. It went in with ease and I can remember siting on the edge of the bed and not wanting to move. Finally, I was starting to feel some comfort as it began to work. I asked if I could just sit there for a few minutes but they wanted me back in bed and reclined rather than sitting straight up. Protocol was for the nurse to stay with me for 30 minutes after the epidural was given and no one else in the room. So as everyone waited in the waiting room, Abby and I started talking and getting to know each other. She told me that this was her first delivery since having her 2nd baby and being on maternity leave. This gave me comfort knowing that she had just been through this and still remembered how it felt.

As I relaxed and started to feel the tingly sensation in my legs, I was told to lay on my left side. They still wanted me laying on both of my sides to help with the positioning of the baby. Just as I turned and got comfortable, Abby and I noticed his heart rate slowed down drastically. She quickly hit a button and helped me turn to my right side. At this point, I was trying to keep myself calm but I couldn't hold back the tears. I heard Abby tell whoever answered her emergency call button, "I need oxygen like yesterday!" Dr. Lambert and the other nurses came running in and the oxygen mask was put on my face. At the same time, the bed was turning into a table and things were set for delivery. I remember Dr. Lambert yelling, "Go get dad!"

As Case and mom ran into the room, I was beginning to push. I know Case grabbed my hand and in seconds our baby boy was born at 7:32pm, his right hand came out first along with his head. He was healthy and had a good set of lungs on him. Dr. Lambert told us that he had a very bruised head but it was nothing to be worried about.
When they weighed him and said he weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces, I yelled out, "That's our anniversary!" Then I realized the he weighed 1 pound and 1 ounce less than Carter. We all thought (including the Dr.) that he was going to be bigger than his big sister. Just like with Carter, daddy got to put on his first diaper.
These were the first pictures Gee sent out to let the Carlson's and the family in the waiting room know he was here. Dad, Tara and Lauren were then allowed to come back in and meet their first grandson/nephew for the first time. 


Daddy and the rest of the family followed our baby boy to the nursery to get cleaned up, while mom stayed with me and I got the feeling back in my legs. I am so thankful for such an easy delivery and great doctors and nurses!
We think he looks a lot like Carter did (minus Carter's chubby little cheeks and dimples).

Everyone (including hospital staff) kept asking what his name was. This has been a hot topic of conversation for the past several months. We honestly had two names picked out and couldn't decide. Everyone thought we knew and just decided not to tell, but this was not the case. I kept telling everyone we honestly didn't know for sure. We wanted to wait until after the first night to practice calling him by name to see if it fit him. We kept him with us, minus a couple hours that we sent him to the nursery. On his hospital bassinet, written on red tape, was "I am bruised!!" so that none of the hospital staff would think he was purple from not breathing.
The next morning, we woke up to a sweet friend bringing us Chick-fil-a for breakfast. We had decided for sure on his name but wanted to wait for both sets of our parents to be there together to tell them.
The Carlson's brought Carter to the hospital around 10:30am. I opened the door to see the three of them standing there in the hallway. Carter gave me and daddy a hug and a kiss and the first thing she said was, "See bayba?" as she was looking around the room for him. It was the sweetest thing! As daddy was recording their first meeting on video and taking pictures, Carter sat up on the bed to see her baby brother for the first time.

At first she just looked at him. Then she wanted to "see more." We looked at and counted his fingers and toes. She wasn't sure what to think. 
Grammy was first to hold him, then Grandpa. Carter wanted to be right there with them to see her new baby brother. 
 Our first picture as a family of FOUR!
Gee and Papa came a little later to visit and to get Carter. We planned to announce his name while both of his namesakes where thinking they were taking a picture with him. Needless to say when we announced his name, both of his granddaddies all of his grandparents were all smiles! 
 Crawford Dean Carlson
Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 7:32pm 
7 pounds 11 ounces and 19 inches long
Baby Crawford brought Carter two big sister presents. The first one was a baby boy Corolle doll. She opened it and completely fell in love with it! Kisses and all! The second present was the accessories for her new doll: a paci, bottle, and bib. She knew exactly what to do and was so excited for her first boy baby doll!

After opening her presents, she wanted to hold her baby brother.
Carter had spent the first two nights with Casey's parents and was going to spend the next two nights with my parents. We were worried that she would want to stay with us and not want to go but she wanted to "go eat at a restaurant" and "play dollhouse at GPa's." So they went to Chick-fil-a for lunch and home to play. 
Later that afternoon we had a couple visitors but other than that, we just stayed in our teeny tiny room and tried to get some rest. The second night went as smooth as the first. We were thankful we got the next to the last delivery room for the induction. We thought it was one of the smaller rooms but we were just happy to have a room and for our baby boy to be here. The postpartum rooms were supposed to be much bigger so we knew we would have more room for visitors and give Case a little more room to stretch out on a pull-out couch but we were very wrong. We got the smallest room imaginable. With the hospital bed, a computer, a reclining chair and a small rocking chair, it was standing room only for most all our visitors. Poor Case tried his best to sleep in that skinny little recliner but it couldn't have been comfortable. The second night went just as well as the first. Crawford slept and ate whenever he was hungry. I slept much better the second night. 
The next day, we got up, showered and started packing to go home. We were finally discharged and we were ready to get home, but first mommy had to take some last pictures of him in his going home outfit and hospital bassinet. All of his clothes we brought for him to wear swallowed him. We just knew he would be as big as his sister or bigger so that is what we planned for. I even kept the tags on a few of his newborn clothes at home just incase they needed to be returned for 3 months. Clearly being snug wasn't an issue.
 
Daddy got him buckled in his car seat and we were headed home by 12:30.
Baby Crawford got his first Chick-fil-a experience just minutes after leaving the hospital. Daddy was starving so we went through the drive through to get some lunch and headed home. Gee and Papa brought Carter over after we ate our lunch. Carter was so excited to bring her baby brother balloons!

All four of us were tired but at least we were all home including, Baby Crawford!

Kari and Ryan happened to be dropping off the boys at the Carlson's so they were able to stop by and see baby Crawford and Carter before they headed back to Florence.

It had been a few days since Carter had been home to play in her playhouse so she wanted to "outside play" with daddy and Papa. When she came back in she asked to hold her "bayba." She was so excited to hold him and talked about being a big sister. She has a list of things that she is going to do with baby Crawford.

Carter's list of things to do with her new baby brother:
  • Ride in the backseat with baby brother
  • Push him in the stroller to see the neighbors
  • Kiss him
  • Hug him
  • Hold him
  • Talk to him and say "shhhh"
  • Sing him a song
  • Rock him
  • Read books to him
The past few days seem like such a blur, they have gone by so fast. We are excited to be home, getting back into somewhat of a routine and enjoying being a family of four!



No comments:

Post a Comment